Saturday, March 15, 2008

"Why Do You Have To Hate?"

I work with a guy who is very big into sport bikes, and manages a web site called Enginehead. Since I'm a Harley rider, we go back-and-forth quite a bit, all in fun, about which is better, cooler, and in general, worth paying money for.

We got into a nice little debate on American vs. Japanese bikes one day, when out of the blue he said, "You Harley riders, why do you have to hate?" It sort of surprised me. So I just looked at him (and it's hard catching me off my game like that), then he continued, "you don't wave at the guys on sport bikes, what's up with that?! You can't even say thanks for being on the road. That's just wrong." Wow - who knew sport bike riders had feelings!!

And, he's right. It is. I do give the Harley "two fingers down" wave to most folks - unless they're on a scooter - I'm just not that enlightened yet. Even the Honda guys with their "table for five" wave that makes you think you've just passed someone you knew in high school and they've recognized you at the local park get a wave from me.

Hey - we're all out there with the cages. It only makes sense that we at least thank one another for being on the road and raising the awareness level of the cagers who rarely look.

So - at least once this month, try not to hate, and hug a sport biker. If you can't do that, at least wave. Afterall, the Harley riders do have the coolest wave - so we should at least flaunt it.

Hmmmm . . . OK, so I'm not above at least poking at them a little.

Classic Street-Bike Videos:
Urban Assault
Urban Street-Bike Warriors

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

whatever i do, i just can't configure it right!